Lylat Systems

The premier competitive Star Fox Assault group!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Preferred Control Scheme, etc.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FalcoXII

PostSubject: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:14 pm

I'm curious, what control schemes and which characters/styles does everyone currently play? Please distinguish claw-grip if you're using dual stick (or anything I guess)

As my sig suggests, I use claw-grip dual stick, and main a techer Falco and a boxer Peppy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Inferno9501

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:53 pm

I tend to play dual stick, I really hate not being able to aim up or down while moving and jumping.  Still never have mastered the claw grip, though I did try when I played SFA a lot more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FalcoXII

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:08 pm

I'd been on single-stick for years, but finally switched when I heard about claw-grip. It let me continue teching and aim while moving. I never could master corking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Smooth

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:13 pm

FalcoXII wrote:
I'd been on single-stick for years, but finally switched when I heard about claw-grip. It let me continue teching and aim while moving. I never could master corking.
Is claw-grip holding the joystick with your thumb and index finger?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Smooth

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:16 pm

I think dual best fits faster characters, claw-grip or not. Dual is easier with slower characters as far as aiming but movement is easier with fast characters on dual stick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FalcoXII

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Claw-grip is a modified grip. The left hand is normal, but the right hand is different. Thumb on c-stick, index finger on Y (or other buttons, I suppose. I only use Y) Middle finger on R. It allows you to jump and aim with different fingers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HAXage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:36 pm

single for life (oh, and i play single stick too, ha ha) although maybe i'd play differently if i were starting out nowadays. no clue what style i'm rocking these days but Falc is still my main damage-dealer. i jump a lot

i think the old SS vs DS debate will always be around although i do see more people slanting towards dual nowadays. i will forever maintain that it's actually SS that has the higher skill ceiling; i just don't see too many people that use it exploiting its aiming methods. maybe this is a good subject for a guide sometime...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sfacorner.forumotion.net
FalcoXII

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:13 pm

HAXage wrote:
i will forever maintain that it's actually SS that has the higher skill ceiling; i just don't see too many people that use it exploiting its aiming methods.
I agree with you if claw-grip is out of the question. I consider CG to be the control scheme with the most potential. If I'm not mistaken, being able to aim, jump, run and shoot at the same time with little or no restriction is unique to CG. From my experiences, SS and DS can only do three at once. (corking is restricted to some extent, you can't maintain top shorthopping speed whilst doing so) But how does SS have a higher skill ceiling than CG? I'm not sure what you mean by exploitation of the aiming methods. I can't think of anything that CG can't do. The only thing SS has over CG in my opinion is easier switching backwards for weapons. Hitting down on the d-pad is quite difficult.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HAXage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:44 pm

i guess i meant the highest skill ceiling for an unmodified grip - i mean the whole point of CG is that you can hit everything necessary at once.

anyway, i just meant i don't see too many SS players attempting to aim while moving these days and i think this is because the option of picking up DS unmodified or not appeals to people a lot more "hey, Straty switched to dual and got into the finals of the FFA! Leon switched to dual and tied hax on Sauria! the top Pep and Falc players are both using dual right now!" etc. i mean it makes sense; the aiming scheme of single hasn't really ever been explained adequately to most players around here and there's no point in them trying to learn it when they can make up for its shortcomings by just switching to DS

i'd like to see a player equally proficient in SS and DS; maybe single for their Krys and dual for their Falc or Pep, or something like that. i've experimented with switching in the past but something about the way all the most important buttons for combat are grouped together in one area for SS really appeals to me; likewise, the important buttons for movement (L and R) are easy to alternate between and pulsing them as needed seems very intuitive to me.
Back to top Go down
FalcoXII

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:45 pm

That makes sense. The modified grip, however, really allows the best of both worlds. I'm still pretty proficient in SS (2000+ matches aren't just going to be replaced by 100, but I'm really finding clawgrip to be working for me.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SfaFreak

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:15 am

I play single stick as a techer/boxer combination with slight lean
towards techer.(Maybe 3:7 in the Power:Skill ratio) As for characters, I main Fox, Peppy, and am beginning to use Krystal more. I CANNOT play Falc or Slip AT ALL.(Seriously. I am awful with them) In the single stick/dual stick/claw grip debate, I have tried all three, and it does not work for me at all two use DS with and without CGing. The funny thing is I like dual stick in other games, but it seems clunkier in this game, even without the Y button problem. Also, a person said it's difficult to change weapons using the d-pad. Actually, neither SS nor DS use the d-pad for weapon changes.(The d-pad is for the minimap) For SS, it's the C-stick(not clunky) and for DS it's the A button.(clunky if you don't CG)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FalcoXII

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:08 pm

The A button cycles weapons forward, up/down on the d-pad can do either. Left (and maybe right) on the d-pad is minimap. Down on the d-pad does allow DS to cycle backwards though weapons, albeit poorly.

I think my favorite thing about CG is being able to look down, jump while moving, and aim to hit a fast character who's walling you. It's saved my Peppy several times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SfaFreak

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:09 am

FalcoXII wrote:
I think my favorite thing about CG is being able to look down, jump while moving, and aim to hit a fast character who's walling you. It's saved my Peppy several times.
Actually, my strategy with peppy IS walling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FalcoXII

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:16 am

Really? How does that work? Can't the opponent just step out of engage combat range?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HAXage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 am

if they run you just RCB 'em, i think. Pep can engage pretty well if there's nothing for the opponent to immediately duck into nearby; all it takes is one RCB to halve a Falc's health and you're firing them a lot faster than any other weapon that powerful in the game, so if bars are even and you just drop on 'em from the top level of Sarg, for example... yeah, it's fun Razz
Back to top Go down
SfaFreak

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:20 pm

HAXage wrote:
if they run you just RCB 'em, i think. Pep can engage pretty well if there's nothing for the opponent to immediately duck into nearby; all it takes is one RCB to halve a Falc's health and you're firing them a lot faster than any other weapon that powerful in the game, so if bars are even and you just drop on 'em from the top level of Sarg, for example... yeah, it's fun Razz
You hit the nail right on the head, Haxage. That's exactly how I play peppy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FalcoXII

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Thank you. I'll have to try that out sometime! Sounds like it could improve my Peppy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Smooth

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:58 pm

FalcoXII wrote:
Claw-grip is a modified grip. The left hand is normal, but the right hand is different. Thumb on c-stick, index finger on Y (or other buttons, I suppose. I only use Y) Middle finger on R. It allows you to jump and aim with different fingers.
If your familiar with ssbmthe player Javi uses this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HAXage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:00 pm

ah yeah i remember that! i was surprised at how technical his Fox was... never would have suspected SSBM to be a game where clawgripping could work; i guess it makes csticking out of a wavedash really easy among other things though
Back to top Go down
FalcoXII

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:32 pm

I sometimes clawgrip when I play Halo. Razz  Jumping and aiming really ticks people off. I imagine it works with lots of games. Anything that uses buttons and two control sticks, probably.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThatLunaticFeline

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:44 am

I've played Dual Sticks since I started playing Assault, with the Y-axis inverted. This is mostly because of extended playtime on Timesplitters 2, a (fantastic) GCN FPS that used the same method. I also believe that it suits quicker characters much better, but in the same respect slower characters may still find good use in it. When my sister plays she uses Krystal with the single stick configuration and she (despite being pretty bad) still manages to hold her own in a few bad situations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SfaFreak

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:46 pm

I have often found that if SFA introduces someone into the shooter genre, then SS is a good control scheme for them. However, if they have played similar games before, then they usually are better with DS or CG due to that being the common control scheme in gaming.

It really is too bad that there is no control customization like SSBB has, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SfaFreak

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Incidentally, my sister plays SS and uses Fox and Krystal. (Sorry for double post)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preferred Control Scheme, etc.   

Back to top Go down

Preferred Control Scheme, etc.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1