Lylat Systems

The premier competitive Star Fox Assault group!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
J Smooth

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Silver Forte wrote:
How effective are snipers against vehicles? From all my time with the game I've found they are really the only reliable way to fight against them, even if it is still rather onesided.

And has anyone considered banning planes but not landmasters? I think pilots still have a good chance against them and they have their disadvantages.
I somewhat agree, demon sniper beats landmaster
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silver Forte

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Gatling Guns ruin landmaster as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HAXage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:55 am

Silver Forte wrote:
And has anyone considered banning planes but not landmasters?

yeah, they give you less mobility than planes do but they do output a TON of damage; the runover capability is particularly ruinous since it gives you massive hitstun and basically crushes barriers almost instantly. i also think LMs are not... really... very... fun to use

Last edited by HAXage on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sfacorner.forumotion.net
Silver Forte

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:41 pm

Flying Landmasters are hilarious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FalcoXII

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Silver Forte wrote:

If you aren't familiar with infinite hovering, you have no idea just how hilarious flying Landmasters can be Razz
But on a more serious note, Landmasters break the game as much as planes in my opinion. Being able to shred barriers instantly is unbalanced as hell, and would make Krystal useless entirely. Infinite hovering may be hilarious, but not when you're trying to fight one. As for mobility, I think it's bogus to say that Landmasters steal mobility from you. Ability to dodge sure, but the speed and jump boosts more than compensate for your ability to airdash.

I still vote no Landmasters
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HAXage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:41 pm

FalcoXII wrote:
As for mobility, I think it's bogus to say that Landmasters steal mobility from you.

ah, i should have clarified i meant they give you less mobility than planes do. will fix
Back to top Go down
J Smooth

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Blader1928 wrote:
HAXage wrote:
note that this is a totally subjective decision! you might find that you, personally, prefer that kind of game; this group doesn't, and so we've decided to remove what we see as the root of the problem (which, thankfully, is easy enough to do). that's about all i think is important to cover - glad to see you taking an interest in competitive SFA and hope to see you around more!
Actually, I don't have SFA yet, I played it a few years ago at a friend's house, and loved it. When I finally got a Wii, to my dismay, it was the Black version, which cannot play GameCube games. I played a lot of games, got pretty far, my Grandparents offered to trade our Wiis since theirs is White, and they don't play Cube games on it. But I didn't want to give up my save data, so I declined. Recently, I became interested in Project M, which doesn't require you to unlock anything, and I stopped playing most other games. I then decided to switch the Wiis. I plan to purchase SFA, two controllers and a save card in a few days. Speaking of which, what size would you recommend? I don't really plan to buy many games, besides Melee, maybe a Zelda title or two, Super Mario Sunshine, and any games I find that'll be fun. (Guessing it'll be about 2-5)
You play the best GC titles I see. I love all smash bros and Project M. I'm a competitve melee player myself though. How good are you at melee?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Smooth

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:01 pm

FalcoXII wrote:
Silver Forte wrote:

If you aren't familiar with infinite hovering, you have no idea just how hilarious flying Landmasters can be Razz
But on a more serious note, Landmasters break the game as much as planes in my opinion. Being able to shred barriers instantly is unbalanced as hell, and would make Krystal useless entirely. Infinite hovering may be hilarious, but not when you're trying to fight one. As for mobility, I think it's bogus to say that Landmasters steal mobility from you. Ability to dodge sure, but the speed and jump boosts more than compensate for your ability to airdash.

I still vote no Landmasters
I usually play special items off. If I play with landmasters or any vehicle I just turn them on because they're really the only chance against vehicles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silver Forte

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:07 pm

I love playing with vehicles but not in a cheap way, flying on top of one while someone else is driving is great fun, plus using it as a mobile sniping platform. I understand why in a serious match they are banned though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FalcoXII

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:13 pm

HAXage wrote:
FalcoXII wrote:
As for mobility, I think it's bogus to say that Landmasters steal mobility from you.

ah, i should have clarified i meant they give you less mobility than planes do. will fix

Understood. This is true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
STG

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:26 pm

The only reason i'd advocate a return of landmasters is the hilarious screen at the end of the game where it lists your deaths - beat by landmaster is my favourite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doubleshields

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:22 pm

You'll find many matches where we play with vehicles and we yell "Beat by Landmaster!" with every kill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HAXage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:26 am

updated to reflect new stage statuses and changed other trivial shtuff
Back to top Go down
J Smooth

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:18 am

What is infinite hovering?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SfaFreak

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:21 pm

I believe it works on the same principle as infinite boosting in Arwings, where you mash Y at the end of the hover/boost gauge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Smooth

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:37 pm

sfafreak wrote:
I believe it works on the same principle as infinite boosting in Arwings, where you mash Y at the end of the hover/boost gauge.
Oh, I never tried that with hovering. Doesn't seem like it works, you would slowly descend not making it infinite right? With the Arwing boost you can actually go forever even though it's only a little faster
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HAXage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:45 am

when you're rolling, your boost gauge recharges, but you stay in the air for the duration of the roll - this means you can just hover, roll to cancel the hover, and hover again. there's a video of it somewhere on YT but i'm too tired to look it up
Back to top Go down
J Smooth

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:46 am

HAXage wrote:
when you're rolling, your boost gauge recharges, but you stay in the air for the duration of the roll - this means you can just hover, roll to cancel the hover, and hover again. there's a video of it somewhere on YT but i'm too tired to look it up
No need for a video I will just go try it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sleeves

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:51 am

Hey SFA community, I'm a smash player that goes by the name of Sleeves. I've been getting into SFA again and I happened to find this competitive scene, which is pretty cool btw.

So I was reading through the ruleset and I saw something that bothered me a little: The stage picking. The ruleset says that in order to determine the first stage in a set you random to it. I feel like in a game where characters are unique enough to have advantages and disadvantages on certain stages, we should opt for a stage striking method to determine the first stage.

In Super Smash Brothers Melee, our stage striking process goes a little like this: there are 5 neutral stages, 1 cp. At the beginning of a set, the players decide who gets to ban a neutral stage first, either by RPS or one player just giving it to another.

For simplicity's sake, player 1 gets to ban first. Player 1 can choose any of the 5 neutral stages to strike, meaning that stage is no longer available to pick to start on. Player 2 gets 2 strikes, then player 1 gets 1 more strike leaving 1 stage to play on.

This method is good because it is a lot more fair than randomizing to the first stage, plus I feel that the characters are unique enough to play differently on each stage and that aspect would just make the game that much deeper.

Also, idk what the standard for set counts are (bo3, bo5, bo7, etc), but in smash it's usually bo3 for everything except top 8, which is bo5.

In a bo3, after one of the players wins game 1, the winner then strikes a stage (which could include the 1 cp stage), and then the loser picks a stage out of the remaining 5 stages. The winner can opt to stay or change characters, then the loser.

In a bo5, the only difference is that there are no bans. So after a player wins game 1, the loser just picks a stage, then the character selection comes after that.

I don't know if this process could be applied to your tournaments, but I do think that stage striking for the starter stage is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HAXage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:24 pm

i replied to you in discord but i'll put my thoughts here so everyone else can see as well - basically, i agree with you that stage selection is probably in need of a revamp as those rules were implemented when we were still learning how to play the game the right way!

i think Cac actually suggested we look at striking a while ago but we never followed up on it. seeing as how it's had so much success in Melee i don't think we'll have much opposition to changing the rules to that, so thanks for your suggestion!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post   

Back to top Go down

SFA 101 - comprehensive basic post
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2